Being a leader is never an easy role, and being a project manager, whose job is to lead and guide his teammates, then deliver the products to stakeholders. One of the major difficulties of project management is getting people to cooperate and perform, which is categorized as a major issue in a matrix organization. The article will go through 5 basic power of a project manager in order to help him/her successfully deliver the final products to stakeholders.
1. Legitimate (or Formal): Legitimate power is authority, it is what held by the functional managers since it refers to the power of an individual, which based heavily on the position they hold within the organization. We could simply understand that this type of power stems from the position. Team members understand that the project manager is officially empowered to issue orders.
2. Reward: Rewards may be in the form of salary, promotion, bonus or better work assignments. Reward power is the ability to directly or indirectly rewarding the team member. As a Project Manager in a functional or a matrix organization, you probably don’t have the ability to give time off or pay increases, however, there are various methods to rewards your project staff, such as holding company reward programs, distributing thank you notes and gifts. Since reward power can easily be overused or misused, once you choose to use the rewards and recognition, remember to ensure that the rewards are for only for desirable behavior.
(to be continued)
IMT-PM provides 60 PDU Bundle will help you earn 60 PDUs to renew your PMP®/PgMP®/PMI-ACP®/PMI-RMP® certificate. The convenience of studying anywhere at any time, at your own pace is an advantage. As soon as you complete any single course, you can claim PDUs immediately. No extra charge. No test. No exam. Certificate available. We have everything you need in one package. Register now to receive a 70% discount.
Find out more at: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/60-pdus-bundle-70
IMT-PM - Global PMI R.E.P. #4760 offers various courses for PMP® Exam Preparation and PMP®/PgMP®/PfMP®/PMI-PBA®/PMI-ACP®/PMI-RMP®/PMI-SP® Renewal.
Our best sellers are:
- 60 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/60-pdus-bundle-70
- 50 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/50-pdus-bundle-75
- 40 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/40-pdus-bundle-87
- 30 PDU to renew PMI-ACP®: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/30-pdus-to-renew-pmi-acp®-88
- PMP Exam Preparation 35 PDU: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/pmp®-exam-preparation-38