There is no ultimate approach for leading a project team. Depending on the current situation of the project, project managers must adopt an effective leadership style to manage people. This article focuses on the pros and cons of the 7 leadership styles that are commonly-mentioned in the PMP® exam.
1. Autocratic. All the authority is in the hand of the project manager who will guide and instruct the team on what they must and should do to achieve the tasks. For this leadership style, the project manager is the ultimate top level. The downside of this leadership style is that team members are discouraged to raise their voices, make suggestions or share personal ideas. Therefore, they might show a lack of creativity, low morale, and low commitment.
2. Charismatic. This leadership style is suitable for the kind of project managers with enough charm to lead the team without much formal authority. Also, a project manager can easily convince the team to follow the lead. The disadvantage of this leadership style is how the team will be negatively affected once the leader leaves. Moreover, the commitment of team members is not placed on the project objectives, but more on the project manager.
3. Democratic. Project managers pay great attention to building team consensus and commitments during the decision-making processes. This can help motivate team members in such a way that is contradicted to the autocratic leadership style. However, project managers must filter out and weigh the value of each idea after collecting them. Otherwise, the decision-making will turn out to be chaotic or valueless.
(to be continued)
IMT-PM provides Leadership Bundle to help all kinds of PMI certificates earn 11.5 PDUs. When you register this Leadership Bundle, you have access to 2 courses - Emotional Intelligence for Project Managers (8.25 PDUs) and Project Leadership for Practitioners (3.25 PDUs). Also, you have one year to complete all courses. As soon as you complete any single course, you can claim PDUs immediately. No extra charge. No test. No exam. Certificate available. We have everything you need in one package. Register now to receive a 61% discount. Also, you have one year to complete all courses. As soon as you complete any single course, you can claim PDUs immediately. No extra charge. No test. No exam.
If you wish to earn 60 PDUs for your certification renewal, we have everything you need in one package - 60 PDUs Bundle. Register now to receive a 40% discount.
IMT-PM - Global PMI R.E.P. #4760 offers various courses for PMP® Exam Preparation and PMP®/PgMP®/PfMP®/PMI-PBA®/PMI-ACP®/PMI-RMP®/PMI-SP® Renewal.
Our best sellers are:
- 60 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/60-pdus-bundle-70
- 50 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/50-pdus-bundle-75
- 40 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/40-pdus-bundle-87
- PMP Exam Preparation 35 PDU: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/pmp®-exam-preparation-38
- PMP Exam Simulator: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/pmp®-exam-simulator-full-40