If you are puzzled by the requirements to renew your certification, this article is a simplified version for you. We will draw out all the information you need to keep in mind about the PDU for your PMP® recertification.
PDUS REQUIREMENTS OVERVIEW
To renew their certificate, all PMPs are required to have a minimum of 60 Professional Development Units (PDU) in every 3-year cycle. The PDU is an education system to ensure PMPs continue to learn and grow so that they can keep up with the ever-evolving field of project management.
Generally speaking, 1 PDU equals 1 hour of participation in the PDU activity. There are 2 PDU categories: Education and Giving back to the Profession. However, you can earn the required PDUs through the Education category. Since December 2015, PDUs in the Education category will be divided into 3 aspects according to the PMI Talent Triangle®:
- Technical Project Management: Knowledge, skills and behaviors specific to domains of Project, Program and Portfolio Management
- Leadership: Knowledge, skills and behaviors specific to leadership-oriented skills helping an organization achieve its business goals
- Strategic and Business Management: Knowledge of and expertise in the industry or organization enhancing performance and better delivers business outcomes
HOW CAN I KNOW IF I HAVE EARNED ENOUGH PDUS?
For each aspect, the required minimum amount of PDUs for PMP® is 8. The remaining PDUs can fall into whatever categories tailoring based on your needs. You can track the reported PDUs in your PMI® certification dashboard.
WHAT IF I HAVE MORE PDUS THAN REQUIRED?
If you earn more than 60 PDUs in the 3-year cycle, you are allowed to transfer a maximum of 20 PDUs to the following recertification cycle as long as the excess PDUs are earned in the 3rd year of the cycle.
WHAT IF I DON’T EARN ENOUGH THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF PDUS?
However, if you don’t have enough 60 PDUs during your cycle, you get suspended and given 1 more year to earn the required PDUs. Remember that the next 3-year re-certification starts from your original credential end date.
As a PMP® certificate holder, you need to earn 60 PDUs for your PMP® renewal. Anyone in search of earning enough PDUs with just one course need look no further than our 60 PDU Bundle, 50 PDU Bundle and 39 PDU Bundle.
IMT-PM - Global PMI R.E.P. #4760 offers various courses for PMP® Exam Preparation and PMP®/PgMP®/PMI-ACP®/PMI-RMP® Renewal.
Our best sellers are:
- 60 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/60-pdus-bundle-70
- 50 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/50-pdus-bundle-75
- 39 PDU Bundle: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/39-pdus-bundle-76
- PMP Exam Preparation 35 PDU: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/pmp®-exam-preparation-38
- PMP Exam Simulator: https://online.imt-pm.com/course/pmp®-exam-simulator-full-40